The more I thought about it, the surer I was that it would be both a cheap mimicry of many friends and an injustice to music itself; I'm referring to "Best of 2008" lists, of course. To invest that much time listening only to new music, especially with the notion of making a list in mind, is to not be true to one's musical taste. I can't neglect the classics, I can't forget 05/06/07 favorites, and I can't make an appoint to check out every underground independent label's latest releases despite Pitchfork hype or friend's recommendations. Honestly, it could be only a matter of weeks or an EP's third listening in which one of these many overambitious list-makers realizes the album is unworthy of the list. Anyway, to remedy this 2008 myopia, I've decided to make a list of 10 albums I'm convinced are gems of ingenuity, spanning all years but tending to have been made in my lifetime. I present to you all the shit I've been bumping to hard to this year, in no order:
Built to Spill Perfect from Now On (1997)*
Wolf Parade At Mount Zoomer (2008)
Ghostface Killah Supreme Clientele (2000)*
The Notorious B.I.G. Ready to Die (1994)
Hot Chip Made in the Dark (2008)*
The Hold Steady Boys and Girls in America (2006)
Raekwon Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (1995)*
The National Boxer (2007)
Ratatat Ratatat (2004)*
Why? Alopecia (2008)*
I even put an asterisk next to the acts I've gotten to see (also, below), which I understand can only be construed as self-serving. Next, a couple singles that aren't found on the above albums that I've been feelin hard since I've discovered them at some point this year:
"Quay Cur" - The Fiery Furnaces
"Inoculate the Innocuous" - The Unicorns
"Allure" - Jay-Z, as remixed by Ratatat on Remixes II/DJ Danger Mouse on The Grey Album
"Passin' Me By" - The Pharcyde"
"Full Clip" - Gang Starr
"Black" - Okkervil River
"Reckoner" - Radiohead*
"Gallery Piece" - Of Montreal*
"Daylight" - Matt & Kim
"Hip-Hop" - Dead Prez*
Any friend of mine unfamiliar with any of these tracks should do us both a favor by checking them out. Opinions/comments much appreciated. Also, I noticed this post completely neglected Big L (R.I.P.), which is only one of many problems with list-making.
Currently bumpin': Ghostface Killah's Ghostdeini the Great (2008)
7 years ago

1 comment:
Would you rather have a Lexus or justice?
A dream or some substance?
A beemer, a necklace, or freedom?
Post a Comment