16 June 2008

What I Like

Fuck whatever Capote said about Jack Kerouac, I dig him!

“colleges being nothing but grooming schools for the middleclass non-identity which usually finds its perfect expression on the outskirts of the campus in the well-to-do houses with lawns and television sets in each living room with everybody looking at the same thing and thinking the same thing at the same time” Dharma Bums (33)

For the most part, he's correct about colleges, and this quote brings to light my own personal quest to wind up somewhere other than suburban developments.
This makes me realize I don't positively know where I want to be in 30 or 40 years, only where I don't. In turn, I don't think I know much at all about what specifically I like, only what I dislike.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dig this quote:

"Someone has to reinspect our system and that soon. We can't expect to raise our children to be good and honorable men when the city, the state, the government, the corporations all offer higher rewards for chicanery and deceit than probity and truth. On all levels it is rigged, Adlai. Maybe nothing can be done about, but I am stupid enough and naively hopeful enough to want to try. How about you?"

Alexander said...

Dug! Was this posted by Drew?

Anonymous said...

Yeah man! King Poetic speaks the truth!

Anonymous said...

I agree with your sentiments entirely.